I do 25 minutes in the afternoon 40 minutes in the evening and 60+ minutes in the morning and I work for 30 mins at school. I have a lot of work time I don’t just work for 25 minutes 🤦🏼♀️
- How do you remain productive when you suffer from anxiety and depression?
- I’ve chosen to work on something during the Deep Work session that’s intimidating for me (involves learning a new skill/trial and error, time/cost commitment) and I find myself putting it off due to anxiety. Any advice?
- Is a half an hour long enough to get deep work done? I always run over my time.
- Do we need to write all the distractions or the major ones during the session? How do we prevent the same distractions from coming back?
- When you work in a field in science, such doing a PhD, how to keep focused and prevent procrastinating?
I usually follow pomodro technique and do 3 sessions of 25 minute work and 5 minute break. I don't tend to do more than 25minutes of work.
I actually started with longer sessions right away because I had read Cal Newport’s book, Deep Work, before getting Fabulous. In it he states that experienced people can do sessions as long as 3-4 hours. So I often spend much longer than the session.
It depends on a lot of factors! If you are nailing the 25 minutes each day and have been doing it for a while without trouble, I’d say it’s safe to try two 25 minute chunks. I recommend downloading a tomato timer app. It automatically sets a timer for 25 minutes of work and 5 minutes of break until the 4th chunk of work is complete. Then it’s a 25 minute break. I am a freelance artist, so I have to work on meaningful things for more than 25 minutes a day and I have found the tomato method to work really well! I have also found that when I’m starting a new habit, if I leave each day feeling like I could have kept going. It’s much easier to pick up the next day! Best of luck.
- What do you do to avoid distractions?
- Is it optimal to break up deep work periods? I understood that people don’t tend to work optimally after about a 45-minute period?
- How you can do deep work?
- What’s the best way to balance food, activities and workouts?
- How do you learn to trust yourself and trust others?
- How do I wake up early in the morning every day?
- I would like to know if you have a boss and he is really in a bad mood, how do you handle this?
- Whenever I take a break, I lose track of what my plan was and I get totally lost in shallow activities. How can I deal with this?
- What advantage do you get from deep work?
- How do you find the best time of day to do deep work?