Anthony Le gall
Before start a deep work session, turn off all your cell phone notifications and avoid every kind of distractions. Take a bottle of water by your side and try not to think in the rest of the world.
I find the playlist that reflects what I need from that session. It may be calming background music like Jazz, or Peaceful Guitar, or it may be uplifting Gospel that pulls my gratitude forward. Another thing I do is pour a cup of water and grab a bite and sit them right in front of me on my work space. I get distracted easily so I don't need any excuse to find something more interesting to do, not even getting a glass of water.
Quick move around, think about what I'm focusing on. Cup of tea and glass of water handy. Shut the door or put headphones in. Then go!
I usually seek out some place that is NOT my bedroom and conducive to studying (relatively low volume, good lighting, seating comfortable for 1 to 2 hours). I grab a drink before sitting down so that I won't be tempted to get up. I set a reasonable goal for my deep work session and divide that into smaller tasks if necessary. Then I begin! I reward myself after with a snack or a short 20-min episode of a show. Remember, rewarding yourself for meeting your goals helps enforce good habits! 😉
- How do you differentiate a deep and shallow work and schedule time appropriately?
- What tips and tricks do you have for getting back into work after interruptions? I work in a place where interruptions happen a lot and are difficult to avoid, even when I have my headphones on…
- Where should I carry out my deep work sessions?
- I would be particularly interested in getting more information how to develop and improve my skills in focusing on my work? What kind of behavior should I avoid to not to lose control over it?
- How many deep work sessions can I do in a day?
- When you work in a field in science, such doing a PhD, how to keep focused and prevent procrastinating?
- What do you prioritize in the morning? My habits are adding up and I think I need to choose some.
- How do you prevent distractions where you’re working?
- How do you get to your deep work session if you have meetings and other chores together with colleagues all day?
- What can I include in my deep work apart from study and physical activity???