If they’re competitive, or think everything is “easy” (haha, my little boy did that) – I challenged them to try the exercises with me.
At one point, I was doing at-home workouts, and I put on some child-appropriate workout music (“cool” with lots of base will get them pretty jazzed) and had them join me. I would just modify things so they could keep up – but they had a blast trying to compete, jazz out to fun music, and/or just do something with me.
There’s all sorts of stuff! If you’re really fit, you can use your kid as a weight for workouts as well 😂 they think it’s hilarious and everyone has fun 🙂
I hope this helps spur some ideas! If you’re still clueless, Youtube is wonderful resource as well 🙂 I fully support that you want to include your kiddos 👌🏻 Have lots of fun!!
If they're older do some sport activity like kicking around a soccer ball, throwing it, seeing how high you can each throw it straight up, etc.
If they're past their first decade, ask them. They probably have some good ideas.
My sister takes my eldest son running with the Zombie Run couch to 5k app.
We also have Just Dance and Fru with the Xbox and Kinect.
Beachbody had Double Time that requires two people to even do the exercises. Unfortunately, we have a small house so that didn't work out well for us. It was fun though.
When my kids were younger, frequently we used GoNoodle. There are many free videos. The school was using it for inside recesses and brain brakes.
I like the stretching and positions with the monkey dude.
Sadly, now that they're older they are too cool for GoNoodle.
Usually each parent, if dad can come, walks with an older kid. The kids love the one on one time. They talk about whatever they want. My job on these walks is to listen and respond. They are thriving with the exercise and chat time. I know what is important to them.
Then we all check my Fitbit after to see how we did.
- What “secret” exercises you do at your work table?
- What’s a great at-home exercise?
- I struggle with depression, but I always feel better after I exercise. Motivating myself to exercise when I feel so down is difficult, however. Do you have any tricks to motivate yourself to exercise when you just plain don’t want to? 🙂
- How do you motivate yourself to exercise? I need help!
- Do you work out as soon as you wake up?
- How do you get yourself exercising when you are already exhausted or have no energy?
- Practitioners of Ayurveda: How do you start to energize the body? How fast can it happen?
- Why work out if I’m not seeing results?
- How often do you exercise per week and how many hours each session?
- I wake up in the morning, drink water, fold my bed sheets and all, then exercise, and then take a shower. So my question is that should I brush my teeth before or after exercise?