I drink a small protein shake prior to my workout to give me the protein and energy needed. I also add an exercise supplement to the shake, to assist with muscle recovery. I notice without the supplement I tend to be more sore and recovery takes longer.
I then wait 20 or 30 minutes before I actually start the work out.
If I work out in the afternoon, I can sometimes forgo the supplement and protein shake, but in the morning I absolutely need the supplement because it has a little caffeine to kick up my energy level. Without that, my morning workout never gets out of first gear.
But then sometime after my workout and shower are complete, I will have my “real” breakfast.
Normally I do other chores (cleaning and tidying up, vacuuming…) before stretching. That's because in a way or another I allow my muscles to move around a bit and warm up.
Only then do I start with actual warm up exercises and finally stretch.
- Can you recommend a 30 minute exercise program for everyday use?
- What is your favorite exercise and how early do you like to wake up before you go to work?
- What do you find to be the best time of day to fit in exercise as a working person?
- How do you stay motivated to exercise in the mornings and how do you celebrate?
- How do you vary your workouts so that you build all types of fitness and not just overdo one aspect such as too much cardio and not enough strength or flexibility or vice versa?
- How do you make your exercise fun?
- How do you motivate yourself to exercise when you are tired?
- I have trouble prioritizing so that exercise doesn’t get missed. What have you found to be helpful for getting exercise in every day?
- Should you exercise before you eat or after? The habits when you first start go from water to healthy breakfast then exercise. I don’t remember seeing anything that suggested exercise after water then eating a good breakfast, but that’s what I’ve been doing because it makes more sense to me.
- What type of exercise routine are you following?