I used to have the same problem, and I think the best solution is to actually put restrictions to those things that distract me when trying to sleep. In my case it was my phone so I set it to automatically turn the screen to black and white and deactivate all notifications (except for calls) after 11pm. What also helped me was to set a routine that was pleasant but wouldn't make me stay up late before bedtime, for me it was reading, meditation and breathing didn't work for me because I would get bored and start doing something else, so you will have to experiment. Lastly, I would say to not be so hard on you, everyone slips off one or two times… Sometimes I just fail in something and I stop trying while I fall in a deep circle of guilt, but that doesn't serve any purpose. The important thing is to get back on track as soon as possible.
Try to put your goals in the mornigs. Try to have different plans, try to shift the activities you usually have in the weekend evenings and night, to the mornings. Try to do, in the mornings, something new and appealing, fun and that involves others. 🙂
To combat that, maybe you should make a list of what you're gonna do the next day to prepare your day and set an alarm to wake up. Then, as you visualise the future you, you can adapt your scheduling of the night and go to bed at the best hour for you.
- What’s your best (fastest) way of getting out of your own head?
- How do I disconnect?
- When do you start the Disconnect habit before you go to bed? 10 min, 1 hour…?
- How and what do you feel during the time between disconnecting and going to bed?
- I love to play music before sleeping and usually is on my cellphone. What would you suggest to do instead?
- Do you disconnected from everything? What if somebody texts you?
- How can you be indifferent about all the things happening around the world and do not check the news daily?
- What time should I start winding down? I usually go to bed around 9 pm.
- Does disconnecting for the night help?
- How can I create a routine that doesn’t get boring willing time?