P.S. Don't fall asleep.
Beside that put a part in your meditation, remind yourself why you are doing this to keep yourself motivated.
If you’re feeling bored, you’re maybe still thinking about the day-to-day or your surroundings. Try to remove any distractions, sit quietly, breathe deeply, and focus on just one idea that you want to meditate on – a visualisation audio or guided session can be very useful here and there’s a few on the Fabulous app (Launch the Meditate habit and scroll down) and lots online.
The next step now is to practice non judgement and not labelling. By saying you are bored makes whatever you are feeling quite negative- try to observe what’s in your body that’s making you feel that way return your focus to the breath and know and trust that the feeling will pass. Very practically I suggest that until you are a bit further in your practice, guided meditations help.
Or go to a class. Meditation isn't just shutting your eyes and waiting, you may need some guidance.
P. S. Try to increase your duration by 5 minutes every week and let me know how it all worked out.
Could you do the meditation at another time of the day where you need it more?
Keep going and have faith in yourself 🙂
If boredom or distraction is getting in the way and preventing you from getting through your sitting on a regular basis, on the other hand, you might consider trying out a few guided meditations to see if you can find one you like. They can be a great focus to keep you on track.
- What is meditation for you? What else do you experience as if meditating? Is meditation a specific activity?
- What meditation is the most beneficial when you’re new to meditation?
- Do you vary your times, or meditate more than once?
- What time of day do you most like to meditate?
- What’s your best meditation experience to date?
- How do you manage to concentrate and not be disturbed by noise and other thoughts while meditating?
- What do you observe while meditating? What is on your mind?
- Have you seen any conscious changes in your daily routines? If so what are they?
- Is it wrong to meditate while lying down?
- How “deep” does one go into meditation? I feel that I stay quite aware of my surroundings. Is this OK?