I turn on some music or an audiobook, listen with earbuds, and keep my phone in my pocket as I focus on the task at hand, never pulling it out to check notifications because I'm too absorbed in whatever else I'm doing at the moment.
- How to keep your focus when doing a long task?
- How do I eliminate distractions?
- I sometimes have problems with getting motivated. How do you keep yourself motivated?
- I’m researcher so many people recommend to me long and continuous work, not pomodoro-style work. But it really hard to accomplish. If I complete a long work session, I feel exhausted and like I should go home. Which is better?
- Do we need to write all the distractions or the major ones during the session? How do we prevent the same distractions from coming back?
I’ve switched off all sounds except alarm clocks. It vibrates on people calling me, other than that there are only silent notifications. I turn it upside down, leave it in another room or use the app Forest to resist the urge when I’m really easily distracted.
Sorry, but I am not attached to my phone as many others. But it helps to install a checker that register how long you have been occupied with a certain app. In my case it is mostly Fabulous 😉
Turn off notifications, also turn off network when possible. Delete social media apps. Put the phone screen down where you can’t see it.
When I go to bed, I plug it away from the bed so that I won’t be tempted to get up and look at it while I’m lying down. When I have a good amount of work, I put it on silent mode, and put it face down on the table. I figured that for any emergencies, my family will call me, and their calls will get thru because of the emergency bypass feature on my phone, wherein the phone will still ring whenever certain people will call.
I always put my phone on airplane mode in the middle of a deep work session. Once the timer runs out, I give myself 5 minutes to check notifications, take a break etc before starting another deep work session.
At work, I leave my phone at home or in the car. I use screentime to shut off my apps at night. Sometimes I give ny phone away to a friend to make sure I don’t use it, or even so far away from me in the house it would be a pain to go get it.
- I prefer longer deep work sessions because I have read Cal Newport’s book Deep Work” . How do you customize the time and length of the deep work sessions?
- Do you try to tackle multiple small tasks or one large task during your deep work?
- My deep work is my secret project and I am my secret project to grow and heal. What are some ideas for other areas of deep work that could help me on my secret mission?
- What space do you set aside for yourself to do deep work?
- How do you get motivated to do something you have to do but dread doing??
- I feel like I have got used to the habit of distraction, especially when my phone is bymyside. Shall I leave it somewhere out of reach or try not be distracted while keeping it bymyside?
- What techniques do you use to build deep work habit?
- What do you do if you feel you’re working on something that might not be correct. As in writing an assignment but feel like you’re are doing it wrong or could work more productively?
- What is deep work really help to improve your life, how your feel?
- Do you ever get tempted by distractions ?