One thing is that when I need to concentrate on a task, I set my work’s instant messaging program to Do Not Disturb. Not only does this stop me from seeing any new messages until I am in a state that I can respond to them, it also discourages my coworkers from sending me a message in the first place. This barrier causes them to think more deeply about their issue and many times they can resolve it on their own after all.
Another thing I’ve done is I’ve turned off my email notifications, and turned off the icon that appears in the taskbar when a new message arrives. I basically always have new emails coming in, so I don’t need to be alerted. I can now check email at certain times, such as when I finish a task a few minutes early.
Before I turned off the new email icon, my curiosity/habit always pulled me out of the zone to see what the new email is about. This is extremely disruptive, making the initial task take much longer, and also created anxiety by reminding me how much email and To Do’s I have, when I just need to just focus on the task at hand and not worry about everything at the same time.
I hope this helps! Best wishes finding what works for you!
- How do you start your most procastrinated tasks?
- What does deep work mean to you? Do you write, sit quietly and let your mind wander? I’m a creative type so I wonder what others consider deep work.
- How do you stay focused if your co-workers are continually interrupting your work?
- What do you do if you feel you’re working on something that might not be correct? As in writing an assignment but feel like you’re are doing it wrong or could work more productively?
- What is your favourite music to do focused work to?
- Is it optimal to break up deep work periods? I understood that people don’t tend to work optimally after about a 45-minute period?
- How you can do deep work?
- What’s the best way to balance food, activities and workouts?
- How do you learn to trust yourself and trust others?
- How do I wake up early in the morning every day?
- I would like to know if you have a boss and he is really in a bad mood, how do you handle this?
- Whenever I take a break, I lose track of what my plan was and I get totally lost in shallow activities. How can I deal with this?
- What advantage do you get from deep work?
- How do you find the best time of day to do deep work?
- Is a half an hour long enough to get deep work done? I always run over my time.