I mostly take the phone into my bedroom and place it under a pillow.
I dislike notifications and alerts. Most of my notifications are turned off and my phone is always on silent.
I have found that if I see a screen I instantly want to check it. Placing the phone under the pillow reduces temptations to check when I walk into the room.
In order to reduce the anxiety of missing out on someone contacting me I check in with the people I want. I call family to hear how they are doing.
I avoid texting in order to reduce the time I’m waiting for the response. And reduce the time I spend on my phone responding to text messages.
I make green tea and I check every thing including ticking faboules then I put the phone on charge in the living room with my smart watch.
Ilay in my bed with my green tea and if I’m not sleepy I read.
I always have books next to my bed.
Turning off the WiFi or internet data on my cellphone.
Putting my cellphone away from my bed
Not having electronical devices on my room (just the necessary)
At night, I will be prepared approximately one hour before the disconnection time. Some times I set a timer, other times I just simply check often. And when it is time to disconnect, I shut down the cell phone screen no matter where I am on the net. Sometimes I allow myself ~10 minutes to wrap up.
When I sleep, I keep the cell phone at least 2 meters away from the bed. So even if I wake up in the night and think about the things to check, I do not want to take the trouble to get up and check the cell phone.
- What’s your best (fastest) way of getting out of your own head?
- How do I disconnect?
- When do you start the Disconnect habit before you go to bed? 10 min, 1 hour…?
- How and what do you feel during the time between disconnecting and going to bed?
- I love to play music before sleeping and usually is on my cellphone. What would you suggest to do instead?
- Do you disconnected from everything? What if somebody texts you?
- How can you be indifferent about all the things happening around the world and do not check the news daily?
- What time should I start winding down? I usually go to bed around 9 pm.
- Does disconnecting for the night help?
- How can I create a routine that doesn’t get boring willing time?