I usually have to isolate myself at my desk at work or on my laptop in a room our condo home (sometimes even at work or at home, “my” office isn’t really isolated from others), write down a short one to three item “must accomplish now” task list usually on a sticky post it note (this is in addition to a previous “To Do List” that I have written earlier in the am), put on noise cancelling head phones sometimes with or without any music, and then make sure I concentrate 20 to 30 minutes on my task and then reassess what I accomplished and then plow ahead and usually if I am doing well with my Focused Work, I will accomplish one or two goals within about 2 hours.
Although I try to do Focused Work on a daily basis, in reality I do t always accomplish it everyday and that is reflected in the Fabulous App when I review the past week or month under the “coaching” function.
I have also noticed that o. The weekends, the Fabulous App specifically does not prompt me to perform Focused Work on Saturday or Sunday although on occasion, I do need to accomplish Focused Work the on the weekend. I think the Fabulous App helps me to recognize that if I don’t accomplish Focused Work on a particular day, that I shouldn’t beat myself up about it- but I must try again the next day.
That’s my experience so far with Focused Work.
I have had on occasion some particular days where I have done focused work for 4 hours (usually with a few 5 to 10 minute breaks). I haven’t had to do 6 or 8 hour Focused Work (other than my usual work day- but that still has breaks for food, snacks, idle chit chat, emails, paying bills, etc) in a while like when I had to back in school. Again, sometimes the mundane task even like catching up on emails and bills on occasion requires Focused Work, but I try to reserve Focused Work “life goal” oriented tasks related to my family or my career.
I set aside specific times during the day to quickly scan through my mail, discarding junk mail and flagging business-related mail.
Then, during the deep work sessions, I tackle as many of the flagged mail items as I can paying bills, making phone calls, etc.
- How long should I do deep work?
- How do you commit to something you really don’t want to do? Example: An essay 😂
- How many times a day should I have Deep Work.
- What do you consider deep work.
- Should you take a short break every 20-30mins of deep work?
- How to build focus for such a short time even. I get distracted after every 7 minutes?
- How do you decide what is work you should be thinking of when thinking of deep work?
- What do you do when it’s time to work but yr really not in the mood.
- How do you keep your focus on a task that’s necessary but boring?
- How do you block distraction if you work in an open space and people around you are loud or don’t care about interrupting you?