25 mins with 5 minute breaks is an ideal time unless you think you’d need longer periods to enter flow states. Deep work with quick breaks can be used to maintain productivity throughout the day though
- Any tips for deep work? Do you have a suggested playlist or ways to help be more focused?
- What kind of things do you choose to tackle during deep work?
- How do you keep your mind on track when adverse unexpected things happen?
- How do you stay discipline while being self employed?
- How do you enter into deep work on a long-term project if you only have 30 minutes at your disposal?
So far I have only stuck to 25 minute periods. However, I plan to expand my session lengths over time. This will increase the habit of focusing in my brain and make working easier. Also, I imagine that being able to sit for 4 hours truly working the whole time with no distractions would be insanely productive.
I think it depends on personal habits and the difference of tasks. my work is usually layout design or digital illustration on computer so I need to look at the screen at all time. I've tried 2hrs deep work for the past few weeks and it went perfectly well for me. Usually I will follow the flow and went on to 3hrs. The benefit is that it's easier for time scheduling, and also my work flow won't be cut into pieces and i get a sense of satisfaction after 2-3hrs because I can see a concrete progress on the task. I Tried 4hrs once but it is too long for me. brain will get a bit too stubborn on unnecessary details and eyes will get tired. 25 min deep work is more like a starter for me. Yet, these are just my personal habit regarding the tasks on screen. I still need to find out my habit when doing different kind of task.
It depends on you ability to concentrate. You might be able to remain focused for hours or only for 30 minutes. For me, 30 minutes is plenty. If you want to go beyond that, you could try adding in breaks of 5 minutes.
It depends on the task, but I often find that I can really get in "the zone" with a 4-hour deep work session. This isn't practical for every session, and it is difficult to block distractions that long; but I try to do one a week. It's a great feeling to be so wrapped up in my project, so connected to my purpose, and so productive!
- How can you motivate yourself to stay in your deep work session every day, even if you have a lot other things to do besides and feel like you don’t have time for it?
- Have you ever been in situation that you must choose to go to high school which you don’t like and you can’t understand about 6 subjects in that school , you think that, that school is not for you, you think that is hard for you and you want to go to other school but your parents are not letting you to go?
- As a 12 year old gotta long should I deep work for in one sitting
- Can i know how to focus myself when carrying out the Deep Focus habit, if my daily schedule is packed and my surroundings are disturbing
- I prefer longer deep work sessions because I have read Cal Newport’s book Deep Work” . How do you customize the time and length of the deep work sessions?
- Do you try to tackle multiple small tasks or one large task during your deep work?
- My deep work is my secret project and I am my secret project to grow and heal. What are some ideas for other areas of deep work that could help me on my secret mission?
- What space do you set aside for yourself to do deep work?
- How do you get motivated to do something you have to do but dread doing??
- I feel like I have got used to the habit of distraction, especially when my phone is bymyside. Shall I leave it somewhere out of reach or try not be distracted while keeping it bymyside?