30 minutes is not enough time to get all the deep work done, especially if you have a job. I’m retired now, so I can’t imagine what it would be like to have to go to work and accomplish all the things you have to do at work with a smart phone in my purse or on my desk . I use the 30 minute deep work session to start on something I’ve been procrastinating on. Once I get started I seem to enjoy keeping it up
- Has anybody actually switched to a typewriter or writing by hand just to avoid the distractions of the Internet?
- I found myself addicted to pomodoro timer. But this works perfectly when I ‘m at home. Are there more silent ways?
- Do you do this every day? I set it for 3 days a week as days with many meetings can make it much harder to concentrate.
- First thing in the morning isn’t just when I want to get work done – everyone around me does too. How do you keep yourself from just answering other people’s questions and helping them every day? I love to help, but I feel like I am exhausted before I can start working!
- What do you do when you “do” deep work? Write? Journal? Sit quietly?
Well if that what suit you then stay with that it what suits you and what your life style like because what work for someone else might not work for you so go by what is easy for you
I try to make several 25-minute sessions to not get overwhelmed, about 4 sessions in my 9-hour shift work just fine for me
Yes I agree . In my line of work . I get some pause in between either from staff or from patient. From emails or calls & huddles and issues. Felt that my deep work is really not a deep or – it break in between and at times forgetting where you left and how you have to start again.
Hardly any for my “true” work — the work I believe I am in the planet to do and which is different from my 9 to 5 job. I yearn to do more. At times in the past when I seemingly had more flexibility of time, around 5 hours a day of this deep work felt marvelous.
- I prefer longer deep work sessions because I have read Cal Newport’s book Deep Work” . How do you customize the time and length of the deep work sessions?
- Do you try to tackle multiple small tasks or one large task during your deep work?
- My deep work is my secret project and I am my secret project to grow and heal. What are some ideas for other areas of deep work that could help me on my secret mission?
- What space do you set aside for yourself to do deep work?
- How do you get motivated to do something you have to do but dread doing??
- I feel like I have got used to the habit of distraction, especially when my phone is bymyside. Shall I leave it somewhere out of reach or try not be distracted while keeping it bymyside?
- What techniques do you use to build deep work habit?
- What do you do if you feel you’re working on something that might not be correct. As in writing an assignment but feel like you’re are doing it wrong or could work more productively?
- What is deep work really help to improve your life, how your feel?
- Do you ever get tempted by distractions ?