When I procrastinate I look at it and think, “Is there a reason I don’t want todo this?” My reason usually turns to be some form of the “thing” I’m avoiding causes me anxiety. Therefore, I avoid thing. Less anxiety!
But that doesn’t get me where I want to be. That isn’t the person I want to be.
Sometimes I incentivize doing the thing (if I make this call, then I can take a nap). I put the hard thing first so it’s over soon. And I explore options for changing it so it doesn’t cause me anxiety.
Could I send an email instead?
When I was avoiding exercise and being sedentary there were two general causes. One: exercising, even gently, hurt. Two: I was depressed and the effort was just too hard.
The only way I got out of this wa snotto make myself exercise. Why would I want to do something that ways painful not in the waking up muscles pain way, but in the something is seriously wrong with my feet way.
Other people just kept pushing me to get up and move. It didn’t work. No amount of knowledge on how improved my life would be if I exercised helped. I knew that. I just wasn’t willing to be in that kind of pain.
I had to learn to trust myself and say something else is needed. Bug off people. It’s not time for that.
I had to change doctors to get one who would work with me. I trust my gut and tried some alternate medicine options (an herbalist for example). In doing that I tried giving up all dairy completely.
In less than a month I could walk with no pain. I enjoy going for walks now. I miss them.
Same with eating good food. I knew what was healthy. But if I took time to make that happen I had no way to do what else I loved. I had to find what works for me. I’m eating healthy for the first time in years. Because I’m doing it how it works for me.
As to depression, it’s been a problem since I was 12. I just keep working at it. Going to therapy. Being vulnerable. Thinking in new ways. Giving up family “training” that didn’t work.
For me procrastination is me just being lazy. It means there's something I need to look at.
My answer to stopping procrastination? You have to want to. I can’t give you that.
If I don’t. Because I hate it, I look to see if it actually needs to be done. If it does, then I see if I can outsource it (cleaning, dishes, etc)
If I must Be done, by me, I figure out what I need to Din to accomplish it, then I Amin to get one step somebody a day.
- How to get motivation for the deep work habit?
- I need some focus and motivational quotes to help me get going.
- What’s a good time to do deep work. Morning, afternoon or evening?
- How to stop procrastinating?
- What do you do when you can’t focus?
- What do you consider as deep work?
- How do you increase the amount of deep work you do without getting distracted?
- What’s your idea of deep work? Does it need to be at a desk or can it be a sport ir house chore?
- How to I get motivated to work when I can easily just not do anything ?
- What do you for your Deep Work Habit if you are retired or otherwise don’t work outside the home?