I close my email do that I don't get notifications. I turn my phone on silent.when I first started deep work I would have a notepad nearby where I could write down anything that distracted me so I wouldn't forget, but could look into it later after the deep work session. Now most of the time I don't even notice when the deep work session ends and do focused work for longer periods of time.
Checking emails is a choice. You have to choose wisely. Make it a point to only check three times a day if you are at work.
For me it's easy as I just don't like emails or phone calls or any messages interrupting my work. So I have my phone muted and all communicators silenced as well. I check them every two pomodoros.
- What kinds of tasks do you consider deep work? And how long do you dedicate to them?
- Do you play music while doing deep work?
- How do you re-focus on your deep work when you realize you have become distracted?
- What are the bigger distractions for you: interior ones like your thoughts or feelings, or exterior, like noises, other people, etc? Which are more challenging for you?
- How can you be less stressed while doing homework?
- Do you set a time limit for deep work or do you just go with the flow?
- How do you work from home?
- How can I have a better focus for deep work?
- How do I stay more consistent with my deep work or any other habit?
- What makes you work for the whole day? (Over eight hours constantly in the deep mindset)