I myself don’t *entirely* share your dilemma, in that even if my mind wants to stay with deep work longer than the time I have allotted, it is a rare treat when someone in my environment (husband, child, student) doesn’t break my focus either by requesting my attention or by making too much ambient noise. That said, I have tried to adopt the idea of using every distraction as an opportunity. When I wrench mind from my deep work, I ask myself, “What can I do with this opportunity?” I have also had some success using the “Revise and Recommit” habit to return to deep work. (I eventually omitted the habit, though, in an overall habit purge because at a certain point the sheer number of habits I accumulated through taking various Fabulous journeys felt intenable and stressful. I think I need to accumulate habits and journeys at a slower pace.)
- What’s the difference between Deep Work and Block Distractions to you?
- I prefer longer deep work sessions because I have read Cal Newport’s book Deep Work” . How do you customize the time and length of the deep work sessions?
- How do you stop doing what you know to be wrong?
- I am terrible at concentrating, specially because of the internal negative self-talk. How do you postpone or eradicate altogether the negative self-talk during deep work sessions?
- Do we need to write all the distractions or the major ones during the session? How do we prevent the same distractions from coming back?
- Is being sincere any way wrong. Is working hard wrong. Should we be careless. Should we do work perfectly or imperfectly? Should we take responsibility or not? Because people who take responsibility are sincere and hardworking but people who are careless, poor, irresponsible are environment friendly. Am I right or not?
- Once I have finished a deep work session of any length, I take a short break. However, I struggle to get back into that deep work state afterwards. Any tips for re-engaging with work after a break?
- How do you commit to your habit and able to do a deep work, without pause?
- What helps you prepare for a deep work session? Things that help you look forward to doing this daily?
- Do you stop deep work when time is up or keep going as long as your in the flow?
- How do you ensure high quality work?
- What does deep work mean for you?
- What do you do to ensure that you stay focused?
- Should I increase my focus time past 25 mins or just keep blocking it out while taking 5 min breaks in between?
- Which tasks do you choose to work on when you’re completing the deep work exercise?