In general, for me, slow movements stretching forward then arching back is good. Of course, having stronger stomach muscles helps your back, so I will sometimes tighten my stomach muscles when doing the lean forward part.
Moving your shoulders forward, then back can both relieve tension in your back and chest.
Raising one arm at a time and leaning toward the opposite side and then moving it around seems to help me with shoulder tension as well as my back.
1) stretching everything below your lower back – hip flexors, hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes (all 3 muscle groups).
2)This is best supported by a daily core work out.
3) good form and an understanding of the difference between working a muscle (many people get frustrated with stretching because they are actually doing an isometric exercise, not stretching the muscle and never get more flexibility) and stretching a muscle and associated tendons and ligaments. Relaxation is the key to stretching. As an example: Muscles are there to support your structure among other things, now imagine someone with super tight hamstrings bending forward to perform a stretch and hanging the entire weight of their upper body on their hamstrings, muscles are awesome but they are dumb. This muscle will engage to support the excess weight and stretch and begin to protect. To protect itself and it’s owner the muscle flexes and badaboom badabing you’re exercising and not stretching. It’s best to use supports and find the relaxation in the stretching to get great gains.
- How can I be motivated to stretch? To me, it seems something so simple that it’s a bit annoying. Although it healthy for your body. So how can I be motivated to something simple like that?
- How do you synchronize your breathing with your stretching?
- Do you stretch everyday? What is the frequency that you shoot for? When do you get it in?
- Whats the best strech for sholders or at the top of the back?
- Does running up some bleachers count as stretching or exercise?
- What has stretching helped you with? Has it changed your life in any way?
- What is your favourite stretching exercise?
- What are some of the best stretch routines you’ve found?
- Which body parts or muscles are the best to stretch in the mornings?
- Kindly suggest few stretching exercises to be followed