In general, for me, slow movements stretching forward then arching back is good. Of course, having stronger stomach muscles helps your back, so I will sometimes tighten my stomach muscles when doing the lean forward part.
Moving your shoulders forward, then back can both relieve tension in your back and chest.
Raising one arm at a time and leaning toward the opposite side and then moving it around seems to help me with shoulder tension as well as my back.
- How do you stretch in an office setting?
- What is the best part of the body to stretch in the morning?
- Do you follow a particular routine or do you tend to stretch what’s feeling tense at that time?
- How long do you normally stretch for ?
- Are there stretches you prefer as a warm up as opposed to when your already warmed up?
1) stretching everything below your lower back – hip flexors, hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes (all 3 muscle groups).
2)This is best supported by a daily core work out.
3) good form and an understanding of the difference between working a muscle (many people get frustrated with stretching because they are actually doing an isometric exercise, not stretching the muscle and never get more flexibility) and stretching a muscle and associated tendons and ligaments. Relaxation is the key to stretching. As an example: Muscles are there to support your structure among other things, now imagine someone with super tight hamstrings bending forward to perform a stretch and hanging the entire weight of their upper body on their hamstrings, muscles are awesome but they are dumb. This muscle will engage to support the excess weight and stretch and begin to protect. To protect itself and it’s owner the muscle flexes and badaboom badabing you’re exercising and not stretching. It’s best to use supports and find the relaxation in the stretching to get great gains.
- What are good stretches for the morning when you get up?
- Stretches or exercises I could do to relieve lower and upper back pain? I have pain along my spine
- What kind of stretches do you like to do for your lower back and hamstrings?
- How does stretching help my brain?
- How many muscle groups do you target per stretch session?
- What type of exercises can I do beside sit-ups? They are too strenuous for me.
- I want to know how to stretch my glutes.
- What part of fabulous can help me with anxiety?
- How long do you usually have to stretch to actually have an effect on your body?
- Do you find it’s easier to stretch in the morning right after you wake up or at night before bed?