Flossing improves gum health. Healthy gums have small pockets, so they don't give dangerous bacteria easy living spaces. Otherwise, these bacteria can dwell undetected against the tooth and not only cause cavities, but also further damage gums, erode bone and weaken tooth attachment, cause horribly bad "rotten flesh" breath, and even move into the bloodstream and cause heart disease. Flossing also removes food debris and bacterial films between teeth, further preventing cavities. (Your food is their food!) It's probably ideal to floss twice a day, as with brushing. You'll know it's enough if after a while your gums become a nice resilient light pink and don't bleed easily.
To be honest, it is still too early to tell the benefits of flossing. I’ve never had a problem with cavities or anything of the sort my entire life, so I didn’t exactly see the need to floss. Due to just starting flossing, I only floss once at night. I’ve never heard of anyone flossing after every meal, and I honestly think it might be overkill.
Flossing helps remove the build up of plaque and food matter that surrounds our teeth better than brushing alone. Two times is a must, three times is a plus! 👍
- Do you know the best method for flossing your tooth?
- How do I stay motivated to floss late at night?
- do you use the floss habit as a reminder to brush your teeth or a reminder to actually floss? i’m not american (i know you guys floss like no other and i wish i was like that) and i have these retainer braces?things? like just a wire behind my teeth and cant use the thread ((and also depression which means struggling to take care of personal hygiene at times so i need reminders to brush my teeth…))
- Why do I need to floss my teeth? How can it help?
- Does anyone floss multiple times a day?
- How long does it take before starting a flossing routine does not hurt anymore?
- For drinking water in the morning, we left a cup of water on the counter overnight. What can you do to prompt flossing for the next morning?
- How do you ensure you floss every day?
- How do you do it in under two minutes? Any tips?
- It’s hard to get motivated to fast how do you motivate yourself to floss