I have diagnosed insomnia and sometimes have to take medication for it, but only as a last ditch effort. I first meditate for abt 30 mins then try another. After that I decide I need to move a little so I'll walk to the kitchen or smth, then meditate again. Only then after trying for abt 2 hrs will I go take my medicine. You can also try melatonin but talk to your doctor first.
When I have trouble falling asleep I reach for my phone. I'll often stay away from bed to avoid turning it into a media area. This does not help. The effect is a feedback loop of me staring into my phone and not going to bed. Before I know it it is 6 AM.
Excerise to wear yourself out, watch relaxing youtube videos, or just cover yourself in warm blankets to be warm so you’re more relaxed and comfortable. Also drinking tea before bed sometimes works.
- What’s your best (fastest) way of getting out of your own head?
- How do I disconnect?
- When do you start the Disconnect habit before you go to bed? 10 min, 1 hour…?
- How and what do you feel during the time between disconnecting and going to bed?
- I love to play music before sleeping and usually is on my cellphone. What would you suggest to do instead?
- Do you disconnected from everything? What if somebody texts you?
- How can you be indifferent about all the things happening around the world and do not check the news daily?
- What time should I start winding down? I usually go to bed around 9 pm.
- Does disconnecting for the night help?
- How can I create a routine that doesn’t get boring willing time?