Television and pot. The best way to not get sucked in the black hole of tv is to just not turn it on. Do something else in that time. This is harder on days I know a show I’m looking forward to seeing will be on.
As for pot, not having it or not having it along with a tv helps. I can work on pot as long as there’s no television
I have ADHD-Innattentive Type, Depression, and Anxiety, so anything that is truly effortless, increases Dopamine, and helps me disassociate: FaceBook. 😭 However, since I added "Observe Digital Use" to both my morning and evening routines, I have been able to cut this out. In the morning, I make a note within the task stating, "I want to spend less than an hour on Facebook today." In the evening, I write note within the task about how I did and why. I've also set up my Facebook app to notify me when I've been on Facebook for an hour. You can also see your log of how much time you've spent on the app. This has helped tremendously!
Distractions that come paired with something that is part of the deep work. For example, using a phone app for work, but noticing those notifications on the home screen. Or referencing a work-related email and noticing all the new emails in the inbox. I try to turn a blind eye to them, but that’s very difficult. I might start setting intervals for when I can check those things so I’m not tempted to check in the middle of deep work.
- Do you find yourself procrastinating when you need to start a project? If so how do you get out of that mindset?
- How do you make sure you’re not interrupted during deep work?
- Is there anything you have found that keeps you focused? How do you keep that going when you get distracted?
- How long should your breaks be?
- If I don’t like coffee or tea, what can I drink to help keep me focused? ( keep in mind that I’m really serious about keeping my body healthy)
- What strategies can I do to work more consistently at certain times everyday?
- What kind of tasks do you dedicate for your Deep Work habit ?
- What’s the duration you’ve outlined for deep work?
- How to avoid procrastination?
- What kind of deep work you do