I think that urge may be a good opportunity to be curious about what’s happening and staying present. What does it feel like? How does your body feel? Your mind? Your breath? Your eyes? What does the discomfort feel like when you don’t open your eyes? Can you sit with it?
I try to focus harder. But you have to do what feels natural to you. Are you wanting to open your eyes because of a distraction? If so, remove the distraction
I don't think trying to focus too hard is the point of meditation, accept the urge, have a look and then acknowledge the distraction and refocus your attention
You don't have to try to focus. Keep your eyes closed, and gently observe all of your sensations without striving to focus
I think it is best to go with the flow and open your eyes but to close them again so it doesn't become a battle of will.
Acknowledge the fact that you want to open your eyes, but don’t actually do it. Then let the thought go. Refocus on your breathing. If you are a beginner it may be that your brain is trying to fidget. I often use a mental image to help me remain focused on my breathing, like sitting on a dock watching the waves go by. Or place your hand on your chest or belly and focus on the up/down movements of your breathing.
- What are the advantages you see with meditation in a group?
- I wonder if there are others who have trouble visualizing, while meditating? Is yes, can you do it now? If yes, what did you do that allowed you to visualize? I am so frustrated! TIA.
- It’s so easy to stop meditating and not get back into it. How do I persist with my practice even when it seems like I don’t have time or patience for it?
- Does anyone use a candle when they meditate?
- Does anybody use a meditation pillow? And do you meditate first thing in the morning or later?
- How long before you feel that meditation is working?
- What is your practice like? Do you ever find yourself avoiding meditation?
- Why do you choose to meditate? Is it because of how it makes you feel?
- Is better if you meditate with more people?
- How long do you usually meditate and what’s in your mind when meditating? How efficiently keep concentrating?