- When did you move up from 25 minutes of deep work to a longer deep work session?
- How do you choose which Deep Work activity you do?
- How can you sit down to do a task with focus?
- How do you measure the depth of your work?
- First thing in the morning isn’t just when I want to get work done – everyone around me does too. How do you keep yourself from just answering other people’s questions and helping them every day? I love to help, but I feel like I am exhausted before I can start working!
Music, even when instrumental, can distract me if I hear a song I know or a song I just really don't like. If I know the song, I'll get zoned out and follow the song. Alternately, if I dislike the song, I'll get zoned out because I'll feel the need to skip or change it.
Silence can be distracting for me as well, because we don't actually live in true silence. There's constant ambient noise: the kids across the street playing basketball, the car driving by, the dog barking next door, etc… (all happening as I type!) I'm not someone who can ignore every little thing – even if it's not necessarily a bother. I don't mind the aforementioned sounds, but I'm compelled to investigate or see what's going on instead of staying focused. And even just 30 seconds can sometimes be enough for a task to end up going uncompleted.
If I need to focus less deeply – gardening or exercising, for instance – I listen to my favorite podcasts or music that keeps me moving. These things help the time pass and keep me occupied without fully distracting me from the task at hand.
I hope this helps!
- I prefer longer deep work sessions because I have read Cal Newport’s book Deep Work” . How do you customize the time and length of the deep work sessions?
- Do you try to tackle multiple small tasks or one large task during your deep work?
- My deep work is my secret project and I am my secret project to grow and heal. What are some ideas for other areas of deep work that could help me on my secret mission?
- What space do you set aside for yourself to do deep work?
- How do you get motivated to do something you have to do but dread doing??
- I feel like I have got used to the habit of distraction, especially when my phone is bymyside. Shall I leave it somewhere out of reach or try not be distracted while keeping it bymyside?
- What techniques do you use to build deep work habit?
- What do you do if you feel you’re working on something that might not be correct. As in writing an assignment but feel like you’re are doing it wrong or could work more productively?
- What is deep work really help to improve your life, how your feel?
- Do you ever get tempted by distractions ?