Music, even when instrumental, can distract me if I hear a song I know or a song I just really don't like. If I know the song, I'll get zoned out and follow the song. Alternately, if I dislike the song, I'll get zoned out because I'll feel the need to skip or change it.
Silence can be distracting for me as well, because we don't actually live in true silence. There's constant ambient noise: the kids across the street playing basketball, the car driving by, the dog barking next door, etc… (all happening as I type!) I'm not someone who can ignore every little thing – even if it's not necessarily a bother. I don't mind the aforementioned sounds, but I'm compelled to investigate or see what's going on instead of staying focused. And even just 30 seconds can sometimes be enough for a task to end up going uncompleted.
If I need to focus less deeply – gardening or exercising, for instance – I listen to my favorite podcasts or music that keeps me moving. These things help the time pass and keep me occupied without fully distracting me from the task at hand.
I hope this helps!
- How do you do your best work?
- How long should I do deep work?
- How do you commit to something you really don’t want to do? Example: An essay 😂
- How many times a day should I have Deep Work.
- What do you consider deep work.
- Should you take a short break every 20-30mins of deep work?
- How to build focus for such a short time even. I get distracted after every 7 minutes?
- How do you decide what is work you should be thinking of when thinking of deep work?
- What do you do when it’s time to work but yr really not in the mood.
- How do you keep your focus on a task that’s necessary but boring?