Breakfast is important for everyone. Along with water, it sets a tone for the rest of the day. So consider what's in your breakfast before eating it. That bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch is awesome, but does nothing for you other than a short term burst of sugar energy with an eventual crash, even for hypoglycemics. Meanwhile, a spinach salad with some Cutie's orange slices and almonds, an egg or two, and some orange or cranberry juice will taste great, sit better, give you higher quality fuel, and avoid the crash half way through the day when you get that third stack of expense reports.
So, to determine your breakfast needs, first figure out your goals. What's your general condition right now? Are you actively going to the gym/working out? Are you sick right now? Are you also drinking coffee this morning? If you're going to the gym, what kind of workout is it(weights, cardio, total body, etc.)?
Lastly, for me, I know that I get those cravings often. So what I like to do, as someone who is of average weight and trying to build strong muscle, is to have a heavy, good-for-you, protein focused breakfast that also has plenty of carbs for energy in the gym. But to accompany my great breakfast, I give myself a small bowl of bad. I have that little bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. This way, I get the best of both worlds. Plus, with all that real fuel in the tank burning first, the extra sugars and carbs of my (small!)bowl of bad decision making isn't nearly as impactful.
Eat something that feels good to you – especially if you work out in the morning.
- What is your favorite healthy breakfast that gives you sustained energy and keeps you feeling full until lunch?
- How do I get more veggies for breakfast?
- What is the lightest acceptable breakfast for someone with a full hectic schedule?
- What’s a good breakfast option for vegans?
- What would you combine in an easy go-to, vegan, breakfast smoothie that includes all the necessary vitamins and minerals for a physically active working day?
- When is the best time to have breakfast?
- What are your plans to make sure you eat a good healthy breakfast every morning?
- I sometimes like to sprinkle grains, nuts and fruit on a green salad for breakfast. Is there any reason I shouldn’t eat a raw greens salad after my morning workout?
- Any quick protein rich vegan breakfasts? Need some ideas! Thanks 🙂
- How can I make a dairy-free omelette?