I keep mine to 25 minutes so the thought of doing it doesn't demotivate me. Although once I get started I usually go an hour or longer!
I would say shooting for at least 25 min is good. If you can get a minimum of 25 min everyday then that's awesome. Then it would be great if you feel like you were able to keep going with your work and maybe get in 45 min or more. But I find that if the expectation is too big then it may make me feel overwhelmed and prevent me from even getting in one minute of deep work.
I'm currently writing my masters thesis and find that 25 minutes is a good start – at least you're doing something! I do however work for longer if I'm really into it and feeling inspired – what can be wrong with that?
In terms of establishing a habit/routine I think that’s enough. And also you’ll have better odds of succeeding. And I think success is an important factor. But in terms of getting things done I guess longer is better:)
I set aside a half hour for my two smallest to do items and an hour for the big one. I have it Deep Work in my rituals 3 times a day for my to do list items. If I go over, I know that I am deliberately doing so and have allowed some buffer for that. Keep in mind that your to do list should be made up of SMART tasks which means that if you have a big task you need to break it down into manageable steps. Doing so will help keep you within your allotted time.
- How to focus and not get distracted
- I sometimes feel guilt when I do not do something creative or productive. Is it ok to just lay in bed some days?
- What kind of stuff do you work on? Sometimes I dont know what to do!
- How do I stay motivated with all that is going on right now?
- How do you get ready to start work ?
- How to mansge time? I find hard to stick to the time to finish a task. Almost like it gives me stress
- What should you do if you are distracted frequently?
- For me, it is hard to find the perfect place for my deep work session. I’m easily distracted by sounds in my surrounding, but there’s isn’t really a place in my house where I can sit alone. Especially now during the Corona crisis… What should I try?
- How do you stay consistent with your routine and productivity level every single day?
- How do you get back on track if you start off distracted early in your work period. Some days I work really well, but I want some ideas on how to reset and self correct on days that aren’t going well.