I usually spend 2-3 minutes lying flat on my back to check in with my body and see what needs attention that night. I like to make sure my muscles are slightly warm before stretching so a little light cardio for 5-8 minutes. And then I like to work from my legs up (larger muscles first while they're freshly warmed up) working muscle group by muscle group, focusing in feet , back, hands and neck ( where we're hold stress during the day). I try to end my evening stretching in dead man's pose to finally calm my muscles and my mind.
If you want to relax before bed then start outside of bed doing light stretches then slowly do more stretches sitting up in bed and then roll down for the final stretches that get less intense and more relaxing to help unwind.
I like to use stretching as a way to slow down physically and mentally. Concentrate on your breathing as you stretch and don’t rush. Just dedicate at least 10 minutes with no screens, no stimulation and relax before bed.
- Are there neck and upper back stretches you like to do first thing in the morning?
- What kind of stretches do you tend to do the most?
- Can I have ideas for stretch for my hips?
- What stretches are best to increase flexibility in the legs? (Goal is to touch floor without bending knees)
- What are some good stretch poses?
- What is the best way to stretch your hamstring?
- Why is stretching important?
- How do you sustain the stretch habit?
- Which is good back stretch exercise?
- What’s your favourite stretching move? Favourite time to stretch?