I usually spend 2-3 minutes lying flat on my back to check in with my body and see what needs attention that night. I like to make sure my muscles are slightly warm before stretching so a little light cardio for 5-8 minutes. And then I like to work from my legs up (larger muscles first while they're freshly warmed up) working muscle group by muscle group, focusing in feet , back, hands and neck ( where we're hold stress during the day). I try to end my evening stretching in dead man's pose to finally calm my muscles and my mind.
If you want to relax before bed then start outside of bed doing light stretches then slowly do more stretches sitting up in bed and then roll down for the final stretches that get less intense and more relaxing to help unwind.
I like to use stretching as a way to slow down physically and mentally. Concentrate on your breathing as you stretch and don’t rush. Just dedicate at least 10 minutes with no screens, no stimulation and relax before bed.
- Do you use Youtube for your stretching exercise? If so, which stretching guide videos are your favorite?
- I’m learning the splits – stretch morning or night?
- Do you enjoy stretching?
- Any easy stretches to do?
- Do you have any techniques that have worked for you to help get the splits?
- I carry most of my tension in my jaw, neck, and shoulders. What are some good stretches to loosen me up a bit and ease all the aches and stiffness I get in these places?
- What types of stretches do you do?
- Does anyone know of a good full body stretch routine? All links welcome
- Do you have any chest & shoulder stretches you’d recommend?
- How long should you do each stretch for. Is it possible to over stretch?