I keep the phone as far as possible. I keep a glass of water near by. I pee before starting. And for longer periods I keep some snack also nearby.
For concentration, I usually listen to podcasts or Storytimes on YouTube because it helps me stay focused for an extend period of time.
First… for me it depends on what I’m studying and from what source. If it’s school studying, I would do the following:
Read assignment and take notes on it. Real notes on paper. Not just highlighting passages. Or jotting things in margins. The act of distilling the assignment and putting it in writing help me remember it.
Attend the lecture. Take written notes again.
Get home and combine my book notes with my lecture notes. Keep all three.
Start all homework assignments when assigned. Do not wait til last minute. Go to professor during office hours with questions.
If it isa language class or any other where it would work, make flash cards and study often.
Do optional assignments or readings.
I have modified the same sort of things for learning things for work where possible.
Yes… it takes time. Mostly it takes a desire to really know whatever it is.
In terms of focusing on work… deadlines focus me if the project doesn’t. I really hate missing them. If it’s something I love I get so involved I forget to eat etc.
If you have something that you have to learn that you’re really not interested in. The only help I’ve found is looking at why I’m studying whatever it is and focusing on that if it’s something I want.
In terms of absorption, teaching someone else is the best method for retaining information, but beyond that everybody is different. There are online quizzes you can do to find out which kind of learner you are, but some ideas to get you started are summarising chapters into a fixed number of sentences, reading the title/introduction and spending a little time trying to predict what may come up in the following passage, and turning important info into a song.
Each individual is different so try lots of things, persevere, and see which one works for you. Then tell your friends!
- How do you get yourself to stop procrastinating when you have no energy or motivation to complete any tasks?
- What should I do when I lose track of time? Such as when I set my goals I always tend to snooze them because of my busy schedule and I really want to complete them.
- How can you resist looking at your smartphone?
- Any tips for how to focus better while studying?
- How do u concentrate on study? Also what’s good way to revise?
- How do you make reading a boring and hard to understand book fun and something you want to do, or at least not a chore? And how do you retain the information and focus on such a book?
- Sometimes I like to study or do school work whilst the TV is on. Can this be part of my learn habit or should I try to brake this habit? I do this mostly when I am not reading alot. I do this whilst I am making a draft of something. Setting up an essay without the text, the chapters and such.
- Tips for ADHD? It takes me roughly 3 hours to get one class assignment done
- I’m easily distracted between papers while writing my research thesis This consumes a lot of time and effort and really frustrates me What can I do?
- What do you do to remeber content?