She and I also talked about my anxiety in starting a new task and she would let me talk through what I was going to do with her. Just saying it aloud made me realize it wasn’t as daunting as I had been making it out to be. I know people who have used accountability partners or work groups in similar ways as well.
I also created a playlist that got me angry at the anxious voice in my head telling me I couldn’t do it. I would use that energy and the feeling of empowerment to get the work done. The songs on my play list were break up songs as if I was breaking up with my inner critic. No one has the right to make me feel like I’m not good enough! All of this really helped me learn how capable I am.
- What kinds of tasks do you consider deep work? And how long do you dedicate to them?
- Do you play music while doing deep work?
- How do you re-focus on your deep work when you realize you have become distracted?
- What are the bigger distractions for you: interior ones like your thoughts or feelings, or exterior, like noises, other people, etc? Which are more challenging for you?
- How can you be less stressed while doing homework?
- Do you set a time limit for deep work or do you just go with the flow?
- How do you work from home?
- How can I have a better focus for deep work?
- How do I stay more consistent with my deep work or any other habit?
- What makes you work for the whole day? (Over eight hours constantly in the deep mindset)