It depends on how my body feels. I generally try an 11 minute routine but sometimes it's just a quick series in bed before I get up.
- How can I be more consistent when stretching in the morning? I tend to get bored or distracted.
- Is stretching safe for beginners?
- Should you stop stretching if you feel pain?
- Does stretching provide the same benefits as yoga? Should a beginner start with stretching or with yoga?
- What are the best stretches to do in the morning to wake up your muscles?
I think the best way to answer that is to say that it changes based on what my body/muscles are feeling that I need. The key is listening carefully to the signals and messages that your body is sending and then adjust/respond as necessary.
I prefer soft stretchy because it allows me to connect with my body and to give myself a chance to do more over the long-term.
An intense stretch would be more of an exercise routine like if I was doing Zumba or something like that and that’s just not what I think stretching is about.
I prefer an intense one. I am a dancer so stretching is always good for me and it also makes me feel really good afterwards
A mix of both. It depends on why I’m stretching. If I’m just waking up in the morning and trying to get some energy than a soft stretch is all I need but if I’m stretching for a workout I want to make sure all the muscles I’m about to use have been properly stretches out before I start or if I’m going for a run I need to make sure I’m not going to be injured.
Because I do my stretching first thing after I’ve woken up and had a sip of water, I prefer a soft stretch. I don’t want anything intense, just good enough to loosen me up and start the day.
I didn’t really come up with this metaphor, but I believe it’s from ‘The Artist’s Way’. A tiger doesn’t worry about the intensity of how it stretches. It does it immediately upon waking up and just spreads it’s body however feels good at that moment. If the tiger didn’t do that, then maybe it wouldn’t be so apt to catch it’s prey later. If you have pets, you see this, first thing they do is stretch their body as far as they can from a few different angles. When I stretch, especially in the beginning, to start my day, that’s how I do it, I reach as far as I could out to the side and up and down and back and straighten my legs, curling and uncurling my toes, spreading and expanding as much as I can and it feels good, it never pushes it too far. There is something to be said about a constant practice of yoga, I’d say that’s different than stretching. But for this, I try to be like the tiger.
- What are good stretches for the morning when you get up?
- Stretches or exercises I could do to relieve lower and upper back pain? I have pain along my spine
- What kind of stretches do you like to do for your lower back and hamstrings?
- How does stretching help my brain?
- How many muscle groups do you target per stretch session?
- What type of exercises can I do beside sit-ups? They are too strenuous for me.
- I want to know how to stretch my glutes.
- What part of fabulous can help me with anxiety?
- How long do you usually have to stretch to actually have an effect on your body?
- Do you find it’s easier to stretch in the morning right after you wake up or at night before bed?