All the time! I keep a notebook or paper next to me when I'm trying to do productive work. Anytime I notice I've been distracted, I make a note of what the distraction was, then get back to work. Becoming more aware of the things, events, people, or thoughts that distract you can be helpful in making changes to prevent reoccurance. I find that writing thoughts down prevents obsessing over an an idea I don't want to forget.
Yes, I do. I find that the best way to deal with distractions is to stay away from them–turn off the TV. Close your email if you can. Confirm what you will be working on for how long, and focus on it. It can be easier said then done, especially if you have a job where people are often stopping by to distract you. Sometimes you need to find a closed room, and just go there to get stuff done. 🙂
Sure do! I’m getting distracted right now, and sometimes I give in. Something that is very important for me is recognising and acknowledging when I’m distracted or giving in to that temptation (after checking it’s not a genuine sign that I need to replenish – bathroom break, water, yell at a hill for a bit, etc), and how that’s impacted my life in the past, but also to concentrate on when I’ve avoided distraction and pushed past resistance. Doing that and acting on the determination it gives me, even just a flicker, lets me slowly keep building up a core of determination I can return to in similar circumstances.
Yes it is tempting, but that is also a test to see how strong you are, if you do give up and get distracted, just remember to try harder next time or better yet, get back to work
- Once I have finished a deep work session of any length, I take a short break. However, I struggle to get back into that deep work state afterwards. Any tips for re-engaging with work after a break?
- How do you commit to your habit and able to do a deep work, without pause?
- What helps you prepare for a deep work session? Things that help you look forward to doing this daily?
- Do you stop deep work when time is up or keep going as long as your in the flow?
- How do you ensure high quality work?
- What does deep work mean for you?
- What do you do to ensure that you stay focused?
- Should I increase my focus time past 25 mins or just keep blocking it out while taking 5 min breaks in between?
- Which tasks do you choose to work on when you’re completing the deep work exercise?
- What habit do you have for deep learning?