Try to forget about it for awhile and breathe.. do activities with your hands and all your body.
In the day, same room but out of immediate eye reach.
If I don’t want any distractions, I put my phone on silent, and leave it by my nightstand, or keep it stashed away in my handbag. My motto with phones is out of sight, out of mind. My no phone day is Sunday. It’s important for me to disconnect and be present more. I find tuning out on Sundays has helped me tune out on other days too, leaving me checking in once or twice a day. It’s liberating to walk away from my phone and be more present in the moment.
Side note: I also refuse all incoming app notifications. Especially facebook messenger. Yes you can turn all those off too. Notifications are the worst offenders in keeping us distracted.
For some reason i don't hear the phone beep at night. But in the morning, when it's time to get up for the gym, I do hear my wake up tone.
But sometimes that works when o put my cell phone out of my physical reach.
In other settings, like when I am trying to meditate or sleep, I really need to try to leave my phone in another room if already fully charged or definitely out of reach but what I really need to do is get a good old fashioned alarm clock and use that to wake up rather than my iPhone for an alarm.
Interestingly, when I am working out or playing tennis, i do well most of the time putting my cell phone away for a good 30 minutes or sometimes even for an hour and a half without looking at it- I still will get text messages or alerts on my Apple Watch but I am able to more easily dismiss it rather than answer it or even read it right away… those are my thoughts on how to put my cell phone away… I think Apple and androids are starting to give more ways to use your device by voice command so that I don’t have to do everything by physicially holding and tapping on my iPhone, but I need to learn more about how to automate these things more easily- I do use my voice to do things with Siri like even how I do things with Amazon Alexa… but I still could get better at it.
One more way is that you can set the downtime on your iPhone, which will also limit the use of apps.
Put your charger(s) for your device(s) in a different room from where you sleep. The physical space will help you disconnect from the digital world a little and will give you a chance to make the change from always on to free.
At bedtime, I would suggest putting in the furthest area in the room where you would have to get out of bed to use it. You can buy an inexpensive an old school alarm clock for the side of your bed if you currently use your phone as a clock and/or alarm.
Otherwise, you can ask your parent, friend or anyone to keep your phone with them so it won’t disturb you. Thank you!
If you want a break from your phone during the day, set the timer accordingly, set your phone on night mode and put at the other end of the room with the screen facing down.
It means I need to get up to check social media. It is great because I don't do it mindlessly automatically.
- I can’t seem to disconnect from Social Media at night.
- I would like to put my phone in another room at night, but I am afraid my mom or daughter might have an emergency in the night and try to call me, and u wouldn’t be able to hear the phone. Is it OK to just turn off WiFi, and maybe plug my phone in on the other side of room by my bed, so I won’t have tibe tempted to turn WiFi back on and look at internet?
- When do you locate your phone at night to recharge so that it is not by your bed but still convenient to check off your morning and evening routines?
- How to stop to use so much my phone !!!!?
- what are some things i can do when i’m disconnecting and unplugging?
- Is having a blue light filter on your phone good enough as not using the phone at all before bed?
- What is the hardest part of “disconnecting” for you?
- Do you have any tips on how to stay focused when you have to use your phone/computer for school work?
- Can anyone conduct their business affairs without a phone with the proper accomodation?
- How do I stop reaching for the phone when I’m eating? It seems to be an unconscious thing I do!