My evening routine (brushing my teeth, preparing everything i need for the next day, packing my food) helps me disconnecting, although I really struggle not to check my SM profiles while in bed
It’s so easy to disconnect when you’re shopping or out with friends etc. When I want to disconnect at home, I’ll make a list of things I need to do. Cleaning, organizing, errands. Sometimes I’ll even hide my phone, like in my purse, under a pillow, somewhere out of sight.
I’ve found that I need to turn off all notifications so I can relax and calm down without feeling the need to connect. I have learned that nothing is that important that it can’t wait until I’m finished with me time!
Estef Nia P.
Make reading your book your final task of the day- make it your relaxation task. I put my phone onto charge, set my morning alarm then place it face down on the bedside table (on Do Not Disturb mode) so I don’t get tempted by notifications coming through. You can then vanish into your book world then put your book to go to sleep.
Don’t forget the Do Not Disturb feature on your phone! And review what you’re receiving notifications for, from each social media stream. There’ll surely be some guilty pleasures amongst them. Maybe even some surprises!
Just put away the phone. Put it in a drawer or put it in another room. If it’s somewhere else you probably won’t be bothered to go and get it. If this doesn’t work, try putting limits on your phone. I know on an apple phone you can put on screen time which allows you to me limited on either how much time you spend on each app or what times you can spend on your phone.
- What’s your best (fastest) way of getting out of your own head?
- How do I disconnect?
- When do you start the Disconnect habit before you go to bed? 10 min, 1 hour…?
- How and what do you feel during the time between disconnecting and going to bed?
- I love to play music before sleeping and usually is on my cellphone. What would you suggest to do instead?
- Do you disconnected from everything? What if somebody texts you?
- How can you be indifferent about all the things happening around the world and do not check the news daily?
- What time should I start winding down? I usually go to bed around 9 pm.
- Does disconnecting for the night help?
- How can I create a routine that doesn’t get boring willing time?