The blue light emitted by screens on cell phones, computers, tablets, and televisions restrain the production of melatonin, the hormone that controls your sleep/wake cycle or circadian rhythm. Reducing melatonin makes it harder to fall and stay asleep. I mean me personally I live alone so fortunately I don't have this issue, although I do find myself not being able to turn the TV off at reasonable hour. I would just being it up before bed one night and I mean it is your wife that your talking to so I would imagine that you will be heard and just simply explain the situation and that you are trying to do something new for yourself. I think you'll be fine.
Just tell them what you're trying to do. Let them know that you're trying to unplug and disconnect from devices after that tell them "I appreciate you for showing me but I can't I'm uplugging, thank you but no" that's all
- What’s your best (fastest) way of getting out of your own head?
- How do I disconnect?
- When do you start the Disconnect habit before you go to bed? 10 min, 1 hour…?
- How and what do you feel during the time between disconnecting and going to bed?
- I love to play music before sleeping and usually is on my cellphone. What would you suggest to do instead?
- Do you disconnected from everything? What if somebody texts you?
- How can you be indifferent about all the things happening around the world and do not check the news daily?
- What time should I start winding down? I usually go to bed around 9 pm.
- Does disconnecting for the night help?
- How can I create a routine that doesn’t get boring willing time?