I genuinely struggle with this so much. I have ADHD and any noise or visual distraction breaks my concentration. It takes at least 20 mins for me to get in the zone, so it's really frustrating when i get distracted. I use noise cancelling headphones, and I've mentioned to some of my colleagues that I have difficulty staying focussed, so they try to bother me less. At the end of the day I try to remind myself that I can control what my mind pays attention to. Meditation helps with that. I take note that i hear a noise or whatever, and then let the thought go. Doesn't always work, but I'm working on it
- What is deep work to you?
- What do you do after a breakdown to start anew?
- Are there tricks or tools to help me complete my deep work with fewer family distractions?
- I work in retail. I have anything but a regular schedule. Trying to build routines that can’t be routine by a clock is tough. Help?
- What do you choose to tackle in your deep work sessions?
I put on my headphones even if I am not hearing music to let them know I am not available for a conversation. If they ask something I will just ignore them (I have my headphones 😉 so it’s not rude). Also I try to have an objective that will take me around 40 minutes and when I achieve it will go and have some spare time with them.
You can put on headphones and listen to music, but really you have to develop willpower. It takes a while to develop, but once it is developed, it can do wonders to your life.
It's all about your aim, that what you want to achieve. It's tough, but if your goals have more importance than anything else, then it is easy. But it is more easier if you get into a vibrant calm place instead of staying in a distracting one.
- What do you do to avoid distractions?
- Is it optimal to break up deep work periods? I understood that people don’t tend to work optimally after about a 45-minute period?
- How you can do deep work?
- What’s the best way to balance food, activities and workouts?
- How do you learn to trust yourself and trust others?
- How do I wake up early in the morning every day?
- I would like to know if you have a boss and he is really in a bad mood, how do you handle this?
- Whenever I take a break, I lose track of what my plan was and I get totally lost in shallow activities. How can I deal with this?
- What advantage do you get from deep work?
- How do you find the best time of day to do deep work?