I use visualisation and repetition. I visualise what I read and create a story. The story helps me remember as and I also read repeatedly until it sticks
- How are you staying motivated to do “deep work”?
- What are you learning?
- How can I binge watch Netflix and still get my studies done? I want to do both but if I have to choose I’d say binge watching Netflix is a higher priority and I won’t give it up. I won’t!
- I’m learning Korean right now and I really enjoy it but I don’t do it very often. I tell myself I will but I just keep procrastinating because I’m not motivated. Do you have any tips on self-motivation?
- How do you focus for long periods of time?
I don’t just read it, I write it also. So in order to transfer what I’m reading to paper, I have to briefly remember what I read, which helps. I also try to visualize the information I’m consuming, imagining pictures of examples in my head. When I go back to review the info I’ve written, I highly key terms.
It depends on what you're learning. If it's practical, you practice. It it's theoretical like an fact or exam material, you use flashcards. (Preferably Anki)
I try to understand the whole process, like the reason behind it, the consequences and everything. And when I study, I always pretend that i’m giving a class and try to explain everything that I studied to see if I understood everything
I use a combination of the Feynman method and staggered repetition. So start by writing out what you want to understand about a subject, as though you were explaining it to someone else. You grab resources and write it all out as best you can. And you do this until you understand the whole thing and can explain it. Now work out how to explain it simply, break it down as simple as possible and take out the technical terms. Then repeat this process every 2-4 days to help build up the mental model in your head so that you understand it over time
- How do you know if you’re stressed?
- How to stay more focused, and not get distracted by little things?
- What do you do if you feel depressed on exams week?
- How can I stop a bad habit?
- How do you find time to read?
- How do you test your learning?
- How much time do you spend learning and studying?
- I want to learn something practical like making clothes, knitting, singing, painting … any book suggestion, youtube channel or whatever?
- Sometimes it is quite hard to maintain my focus on learning and studying. I find myself checking mail, reading social media commentary and avoiding the still to be worked on assignments. What can I do to prevent that?
- How can I stay focused and motivated for a long time?