This question is the exact one that I need to ask to you unfortunately.
My problem is to schedule my time effectively. Often, I fell into the fate of procrastination when I decidw to focus on a task.
This is one area that I have had some success. I get up, take care of my morning tasks and then set my timer for 25 minutes. I save the work that most excites me & is essential for my own goals. I feel accomplished. At work, I let my co-workers & boss know I am taking a “deep dive” into a project, close my door, & put “do not disturb” on my calendar. They know I’ll be available in an hour.
One of the things Fabulous is doing for me is helping me prioritize which is not one of my gifts. I can’t imagine how hard it would be were I still working and living a life like most folks with a full life live. I’m medically retired so that makes this part easier for me. It has rapidly become a daily part of my accountability and organization to have a better life. I told my MD about it as his wife struggles and he and I personally share some of the same apps, Fabulous and Calm. I also use 10% Happier. It seems together with Fabulous they all synergize. Good luck!
You can always make time. Look at your schedule and see where you can get some things done. Even if it’s little by little.
Agreed, it is difficult. I simply schedule it as an appointment and then do focus strictly on my work to do list during that time
I think making time for deep work comes from managing priorities and thinking about what will have the most impact on you and people around you. What is the most important that you can really focus, if it’s important enough, it’s easy to make time for it.
- What kinds of things do you consider to be deep work?
- Any hint to actually do the most important big tasks, during the deep work session, instead of smaller, also necessary but less critical tasks?
- I am building a program for my current workplace, and the tasks and categories are unclear. How do I set up a work schedule for myself to get some flow, instead of being choppy and distracted?
- What’s the difference between Deep Work and Block Distractions? They sound the same.
- How do you best keep yourself on track during a deep work session?
- How do you stay on track with exercise on the weekends when you want to sleep in?
- What you do when you catch yourself getting distracted?
- I have this problem of switching tasks when I have a lot of them. Say for example I start working on task 1 using deep work and I complete it. That’s when it’s so difficult for me to switch or take up a new task. I can handle task 2 when task 1 is still in progress, but when it gets completed, my mind and body goes to relaxation state automatically and I start to procrastinate. How can I stop myself from doing this?
- When the alarm goes off to finish the session, I immediately become distracted again. I start diving into all new stimuli I missed out on while in deep work (like new emails, etc.). How do I keep my focus when I don’t have an app timing me?
- Do you think it’s important to perform each step of a ritual in the order and within the time limits you have laid out for it?