Research has shown that you can receive the benefits of meditation within 12 minutes of practise. In order to achieve this, I do a minimum of 15 minutes when I meditate…I'm speaking here of silent meditation with no guidance, however, there are guided meditations that are longer and of course they are beneficial too.
When I say yes, you can meditate too much, this is for two reasons:
Firstly, if you have an incredible, otherworldly or out of body type experience during meditation, some people can become addicted to the sensation, chasing more and more. While exciting to experience, searching for it again is the opposite of the goal of meditation – which is to accept whatever IS in the now, at all times (in life, and in meditation), and simply BE.
Secondly, if you spend an hour in meditation in the morning, great. An hour in the evening, perhaps also great… but it is worth considering if the time spent is adding to your Peace of Mind. Is 30 minutes enough? If you need 60 minutes fine, but don't do so much that it encroaches on your active life – because, as previously stated, the goal of meditation is to help you be present at all times, conscious in each moment, centred and calm. Your life should become Living Meditation, so if you feel like you're spending too much time sitting (or if you feel like you don't have enough time to sit!) bring the attention of meditation to everything that you do. Start with little tasks that you can and often do on 'autopilot' – washing your hands, waiting in line, walking through your house… Bring meditation to life.
I hope this helps!
- What do you do when you just can’t focus or let go of rampaging thoughts?
- Is there anything other than breathing that you try to do while meditating?
- What do you think of when you are meditating? What does meditation do for you?
- I do my meditation at evening time and…always fall asleep 😊. Apart from changing the time to earlier in the day is there anything else I can do to make sure I complete it?
- Is it alright to move around while meditating or should one sit cross legged being perfectly still?
- What is the best meditation for chakras?
- What do you think of stretching for awhile instead of meditation?
- What is the best meditation posture for someone who always gets back or neck ache when sitting?
- Do you have any tips for stopping the review of the day that happens in my mind when I do my bedtime meditation? It sometimes takes me a whole hour to get to sleep because of it.
- When do you like to meditate?