I don’t answer if I don’t have the emotional fortitude to answer.
I let it go to voicemail. If it’s that important then they will immediately call again. If it is not urgent, but they desire a response then they will leave a message.
I normally take a deep breathe before answering and smile – it makes your voice relax.
If it’s from someone or something that’s is optional- I let it ring out. If it’s urgent they will call again and I answer but generally you gain an extra day. Putting off answering the phone makes it harder the longer you put it off. Sometimes it’s better to just answer the phone!
If it’s from someone that I would rather not talk to, or feel the urge to avoid, I would text them back and say something like: “I am tending to my self-care right now. And feel like it would be better for us to talk when I feel more centered. If you could honor that by sending me an email or a letter instead, I would greatly appreciate it.”
Then, I will try to examine why I feel the urge to avoid this person. And get myself sorted out first.
Also, it can also help reduce tensions when people are given the opportunity to write down their thoughts. So the invitation of an email exchange is helpful in that regard.
Above all, I always aim for 100% honesty. And try to do so in a way that honors the others person’s humanity and feelings.
- What do you do when: eyes closed, lights off… and suddenly you start thinking about what you have to do tomorrow?
- When you disconnect but your mind is still busy and distracted, how do you calm it?
- How do you disconnect & unplug if you have to use your phone to check the evening routine as done?
- How soon before bed is recommended to disconnect? And what are your favorite ways to get ready for bed that don’t involve your phone?
- What is an alternative? My phone has become my safety blanket. What is something I can use instead during awkward situations?
- I would really love a solid way to minimize social media use in my down time??
- How long before going to bed do you put the phone down?
- Do you guys listen to music when you go to bed?
- Q regarding Disconnect : would it be improvement if I cant shut all of the tech off..to atleast cut back. For ex. I just got a new book. I’ll read tonight instead of TV..etc.
- How do you limit TV time?