I don’t answer if I don’t have the emotional fortitude to answer.
I let it go to voicemail. If it’s that important then they will immediately call again. If it is not urgent, but they desire a response then they will leave a message.
I normally take a deep breathe before answering and smile – it makes your voice relax.
If it’s from someone or something that’s is optional- I let it ring out. If it’s urgent they will call again and I answer but generally you gain an extra day. Putting off answering the phone makes it harder the longer you put it off. Sometimes it’s better to just answer the phone!
If it’s from someone that I would rather not talk to, or feel the urge to avoid, I would text them back and say something like: “I am tending to my self-care right now. And feel like it would be better for us to talk when I feel more centered. If you could honor that by sending me an email or a letter instead, I would greatly appreciate it.”
Then, I will try to examine why I feel the urge to avoid this person. And get myself sorted out first.
Also, it can also help reduce tensions when people are given the opportunity to write down their thoughts. So the invitation of an email exchange is helpful in that regard.
Above all, I always aim for 100% honesty. And try to do so in a way that honors the others person’s humanity and feelings.
- How do you mark “complete” on your Fabulous tasks in the evening, if one of them is to disconnect!
- How soon before your bedtime do you unplug or turn phone to Do Not Disturb?
- do you manage to stay away from devices or do you find it hard
- Do you enjoy more time with people nowthat you’ve been trying to disconnect?
- How do you remind yourself to disconnect & unplug?
- How far from bed time do you disconnect your devices?
- How to get significant other off his phone 🙄🙄🙄
- Does meditation help me disconnect and unplug? Because sometimes I kept using my phone and I didn’t realize it is the bed time
- How can i keep my children away from devices?
- Yes how do you unplug in the middle of a Fabulous exercise when Fabulous is on the phone you’re supposed to get away from?