I broke my ankle 6 months ago and am doing PT now… it’s been a long journey and I have a ways to go! First strengthening exercises I received are heel raises, modified lunges with foot up on couch- leaning into bad foot for mobility, and using a strap to pull back on bad foot when seated with leg straight out in front of you.
The best thing to do right now would be to rest and not attempt any excercises that might aggravate it more. If you are dying to do something, you could do some exercises to strengthen your foot arch as this will help prevent injury in the future. Some of these exercises include picking up small objects like legos with your toes and placing them in a jar, curling a towel or blanket with your toes and then spreading it out again with your toes, and rolling your feet on a tennis ball. These might seem like small and insignificant things to do, but it will help with injury prevention and is actually harder than you think. Once your ankle is healed enough, you can try to add some ankle strengthening too: do each for 30 yards: walk on heels forward and backward, walk on toes forward and backward, walk on outside of feet forward and backward, walk on inside of feet forward and backward. Just be patient with yourself and never loose hope!
In my ballet training, we strengthened our ankles often. You can sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front, put an elastic workout band under the arches of your feet and hold it with both hands, then flex and point your feet. Start with very little resistance!
I have hyper mobility in my ankles. I know this struggle well. 🙂 I've been a fan of writing the alphabet twice with my toes-big movements (so a full circle for "O", etc ). It's big and easy to remember how to do.
I did this a bit ago as well! I rested/elevated it a few days and did calf raises and ankle pumps before getting back into my walking routine!
I don't know about strength, but there's great video workouts from Joyn that you can do seated, low impact or more impact. Maybe check that out?
I think just slowly moving your foot in a rotation and then just messaging it. I never twisted my ankle but I have had pain there and I would do this and it’d be fine. But i think if it was months ago it should’ve healed by now so just slowly move it around.
So I have a weak ankles so I usually do exercises that strengthen the ligaments such as standing on 1 foot going up and down on your tippy toes 16 times each foot then I Bought a plank that is on a ball and try to stay on it without moving to much if you have anymore questions
Contact me at [email protected]
Contact me at [email protected]
I know a couple exercises because I broke my ankle before. There is one for when your ankle is mostly healed, and it’s supposed to help it get used to moving around again. It’s where you take your foot in your hand and move the foot around slowly and in all different directions. It works pretty well. I highly recommend 😉
Best to consult your doctor and/or orthopedic and a physical therapist. Stay safe, stay healthy, and wish you a speedy recovery!
Use your foot as a pencil and try to write the ABC's in the air… This will strengthen all the muscles in your ankle and won't be too strenuous to irritate the nerves…
Firstly do bed rest as it's very dangerous to do hard exercise if injury is on ankle , it can give sprain. After you feel better than start with slow movement and than regular 🙂
- What do you do as a daily exercise? Do you go to the gym every day or combine it with at-home workouts?
- I’m curious about reading habits of you guys(or ladies). How do you manage to read a whole book? Do you spend whole days on your free time to read everything at once? Or do you bring the book with you wherever you go and read it little by little? Or do you set a certain time every day for reading?
- What are fun strength training exercises?
- I can’t sprint or run because of this surgery but I can walk briskly and ride a bike so that’s what I’m trying to keep up with. Is this okay to replace for sprinting?
- Any preferred workout methods for building muscle/core strength with a bad back/pain?
- Hi I’m 11 years old and I want to get rid of the extra fat in my stomach and thighs please help.
- What do you do when you don’t see the sense of an exercise?
- How do you find motivation when you don’t want to exercise?
- How do you motivate yourself to exercise? And how often do you do it?
- How do you set your evening routine? I managed to do so in the morning, but I feel my reward is to relax when I get back from work. And I need to have a more productive routine before going to sleep.