I personally struggle with this and have found that forward planning really helps. For example if I want to write a report tomorrow and know that I am prone to playing video games instead, then I’ll unplug my games console and tidy away my games the day before and space permitting, I’ll write my report in a different room.
The less accessible you can make your go to distractions, the more likely you are to opt to do the thing you’ve been putting off.
Fabulous also has a really good guided meditation about acknowledging your impulsive and your more rational thoughts and consciously choosing which one to listen to. This, critically, makes you aware of your own responsibility in the decision making process and, for me at least, is often enough to highlight the flaw in the impulsive thought e.g. I know if I watch that 1 YouTube video then it’ll lead to 2 and before I know it I’ll not have done any work on my report and will feel really guilty about it so maybe I should just start that report instead and watch that video at lunch if I’m still thinking about it then.
- How can you stay focused when you’re studying?
- How do I learn and retain information more effectively?
- How can I stay focused on studying without getting distracted?
- How do you concentrate; how do you fortify your focus?
- What do you think is the best way to fight against the feeling of giving up one goal when this feeling comes?
- How do you test your learning?
- How much time do you spend learning and studying?
- I want to learn something practical like making clothes, knitting, singing, painting … any book suggestion, youtube channel or whatever?
- Sometimes it is quite hard to maintain my focus on learning and studying. I find myself checking mail, reading social media commentary and avoiding the still to be worked on assignments. What can I do to prevent that?
- How can I stay focused and motivated for a long time?
- What are some tips for better concentration and actually learning the material?
- How do you stop yourself from getting distracted while studying?
- How do you find what gives you positive motivation?
- How do you focus for long periods of time?
- How should I keep focused when I don’t make progress on certain tasks? For this case I stuck with the score of 6 for my IELTS writing exam while my target score is 7. And it hasn’t changed even a little bit for so long.