I can do mindfulness without guidance, and I am comfortable with creative visualization. Guided meditation, especially with a voice that I comfortable with, work best for me, personally. Please meditate in any way that works for you. Good luck!
My favourite one is guided "loving kindness" meditation which is focused on expresing love toward ourself and toward creatures all over the world. And I love to meditate with sound of soft rain.
I do it until I feel ready to stop… But two minutes I think can be adequate…
… And then you sit… And go with whatever feels right. I've found it insightful sometimes, calming, pretty… And powerful emotionally. I've found it gives me what I need, shows me what I don't need… But that's just me…
I also once tried a walking mindfulness meditation, and absolutely loathed it. But a few years later I gave it another go – this time barefoot on soft grass – and it was simply amazing.
I guess what I’m trying to say is, try the whole palette to find what works for you.
- What is meditation for you? What else do you experience as if meditating? Is meditation a specific activity?
- What meditation is the most beneficial when you’re new to meditation?
- Do you vary your times, or meditate more than once?
- What time of day do you most like to meditate?
- What’s your best meditation experience to date?
- How do you manage to concentrate and not be disturbed by noise and other thoughts while meditating?
- What do you observe while meditating? What is on your mind?
- Have you seen any conscious changes in your daily routines? If so what are they?
- Is it wrong to meditate while lying down?
- How “deep” does one go into meditation? I feel that I stay quite aware of my surroundings. Is this OK?